Tuesday 6 January 2009

Settling in

Since arriving on Sunday afternoon I've been settling in and 'making myself at home', doing all sorts of mundane setup activity which is not worth writing about. 
I'm living in a lovely little two-floor, wooden house on stilts, towards the top of Mount Victoria. You can walk over the top and into town. The view is superb and the planes taking off from Wellington airport a few kilometres away pass over the bay ahead of my balcony at regular intervals during the day. Very homely, because in Finland I live right underneath the approach into Helsinki-Vantaa airport. The flight frequency here is considerably less though.
It was a relief to get the ADSL connection working without any glitches and then also doing away with the cable and setting up the WLAN. So now I can work with any gadgets - and there are quite a few -  anywhere in the house. Well actually it is so bright here that, at first, I thought that my MacBook monitor had a fault. Good reason to spend the days outside and the nights writing, communicating and researching stuff on line.
My body clock is still 3 hours off target. I woke refreshed at 04.00 this morning. Now feeling considerably boosted by my first decent cup of coffee since arriving. It took a few attempts to get the proportions right with unfamiliar equipment.  
Two discoveries yesterday: 1. The state roadside rescue service is wonderful and using very impressive mobile gadgets for their logistics and, 2. My VISA card will not be accepted in the supermarkets, being somehow non-compatible with New Zealand card reading devices. And I thought the whole idea of the cards with chips was to make everything more secure and more compatible!?