Saturday 17 January 2009

Not in Cuba, honestly!


Most people will have seen pictures and reports from Cuba showing how the Cubans have kept alive their pre-embargo American automobiles. It's truly a commendable effort towards achieving the sustainability of Havana's 8 litre V8 gas gobblers.  Yesterday I was also worrying that my Toyota was bound to fail the fitness test. But it seems that there is a certain affinity with the Cuban attitude here. 'Good as Gold' was the verdict at the garage. Surprising as, really, the shock absorbers are as strong as a limp lettuce and, on further inspection today, I found that the one of the drive shaft bearing covers was gaping open. Another year driving with that and there will be a big repair bill, or then it's off to the scrap yard for the old Starlet. 
But this isn't Cuba, despite the similarities of the sea and the wind, and working just round the corner from Cuba Street and having lunch on red tables in the sun at Fidel's Cafe. And I'm yet to see anyone smoking a cigar. As I was approaching the garage yesterday I came across the Kiwi equivalent of the Cuban V8, a lovely old Morris Minor  in resplendent shades of yellow and grey rust primer. Good for another 100 000 kms I'm sure, with or without shock absorbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment