Sunday 18 January 2009

Braised Cauliflower and the wind

I was woken up by the rain this morning, grey as hell, could hardly see the other side of Shelley Bay. 'Not too good for Doug's barbecue', I thought. Doug is the head of department here. But by midday the sky was blue and it was as windy as you'd want it. I walked up the hill to the top of Mount Victoria and noticed that my physical condition was massively improved since arriving here two weeks ago ;-)
I'd downloaded some applications for making panoramas on the iPhone and there's no better place for testing those out than the viewing deck up there. The wind was so strong that it was more than difficult to keep the phone in approximately the right direction, let alone the right elevation. OK, judge for yourselves. This effort looks more like a Hockney to me in terms of alignment. Back to the drawing board...

So Doug has also asked for people to bring something nice to accompany the barbecued meat and so I've prepared my old favourite, braised cauliflower, from a 1970s paperback by Mr Singh (one of the many). Tomorrow will now certainly remain windy in Wellington.

2 comments:

  1. More, more more!! Tell us about the windy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. More? Well the braised cauliflower turned a few heads on the bus over to Doug's place. I missed my connection in town and had to wait 30 minutes for the next bus. Despite being sealed in plastic bags and covered in tin foil and newspaper to keep it warm, the 'delicious' smell of cooked cauliflower started seeping from my backpack. Nobody wanted to sit next to me on the bus...the middle aged fart smelling of cauliflower (or vice versa)!

    ReplyDelete